Position Title: Forklift Operator
Position Location: Operate forklift in a safe manner in accordance with all BFPI and OSHA standards and guidelines. (Seatbelts are required to be worn on all mobile equipment).
Position Description: Work with a team of pullers to stack lumber by grade and thickness in to carts neatly and safely.
Position Responsibilities: Perform duties in a safe and productive manner minimizing damage to lumber product.
Position Requirements: The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Essential functions of the job include but are not limited to:
- Unload dry kilns and store lumber in the proper area. Making sure all units and stacks are stable and not at risk of turning over.
- Load green lumber on the tracks ready to be pushed in kiln for drying immediately to avoid any kiln downtime.
- Push in and pull-out charges into kilns making sure no damage is sustained to kiln. Make sure all baffles and doors are secure and out of the way.
- Examine each pack of stack of lumber once you load it on the batch kiln tram to ensure no lumber is hanging off packs that could cause damage to kiln.
- Assist in loading lumber trucks hauling wood off site from lumber deck or yard and unloading from stacker or truck to designated areas or storage in a safe and efficient manner.
- This will require ensuring:
- All kiln carts are in good repair and properly placed on the tracks.
- Kiln carts are greased weekly on the batch kiln and daily on the USNR kiln.
- All lumber is properly set up and straight to minimize drying defects.
- Complete daily checklist accurately.
- All Bunks and loose boards are picked up off the ground as the lumber is moved around the kilns and on the green and dry yard. (Do not run over them!).
- All loose boards are picked up and properly placed on the packs on the green and dry yard
- When a pack is not the correct size for the tram use a 4X4 or an appropriate sized cross out under stick that is not at tram bolster.
- Store all green lumber in the proper area making sure all units and stacks are stable and not at risk of turning over.
- Rotate green lumber to prevent stain and to ensure drying uniformity.
- Be able to judge and calculate the available items to be dried and coordinate setup to the kilns in a timely manner.
- Make sure problems with spills, etc. that may occur are corrected and cleaned up before leaving the shift.
- Perform daily pre-shift forklift inspections.
- Clean forklifts routinely using the pressure washer.
- Assist in changing tires or performing any preventative maintenance tasks as specified Adhere to all safety policies and perform tasks in a safe and responsible manner to one’s person and no damage to mill property occurs in anyway.
- Observe all procedures specified in the job safety analysis to prevent any injuries.
- Anytime a situation occurs which you feel you do not know how to handle properly and safely, stop! Call someone from the list that is provided in the boiler control room and/or kiln control rooms and ask for proper instruction without any hesitation.
- Perform any duties required as specified by the direct supervisor or any other mill supervision.
Job type: Full Time
Salary: $17.00/hour plus generous benefits package